Sunday, March 18, 2007

"La"

Image Hosted by ImageFuse.com
While passing the tent beside the road and the pool, I felt the stench and I saw some waving hands. I knew that a group of fisherman has camped there and the stench is from the fish being drying in the sun.
I had no time to stop to check if they are known to me as I had a mission.

While returning after two hours, I parked the car in the stark sun as there was no shade. A boy came running to welcome me and I held his hand. I took my camera and followed him to the shack.
The stench was now severe.
Fish being hanging everywhere in the wooden makeshift dryers.
There was nobody that I know from before. But their smile was welcome and I went around and gave them the two mineral water bottles.
The woman were also busily cleaning and skinning the fish for drying in the sun but they wished me.
I asked permission for a pic and both the men murmured something in between and one of them came forward with a smile.
“Fi filoos” he asked me, in Arabic a virtual demand for money for taking pictures.
“La “ that was a no and I was stern.
I started to close the camera because the demanded money from a fellow African.
He hesitated and asked me again.
“Abad ?” which means ‘nothing’ ??? Or was it their last resort ?

I closed the camera and turned around with a red face and walked to my car.
I heard their loud request to comeback but I did not turn around to look.
I heard footsteps behind me and then I felt the small hands of the boy holding my cloth and legs practically pleading with his eyes. I stopped and he motioned me to come back for the picture. Now the two men came running and smiling, pleading me to take pics of them.

Their smiles evaporated my anger.
“Fi filoos” it was my turn to ask them with a smile.
“La” the answer came instantly from both with surprise all over them.
“Abad?” I asked with smile.
“La” an instant reply as they understood and smiled wide at my mockery.

It was now my pleasure to take this picture.
They have live fish allover their hands as they were skinning them.

1 comment:

Jac said...

ALL COMMENTS FROM THE ORIGINAL BLOG IS PASTED HERE


Othersideblue said...
So you thaught them something :)

18 March, 2007 20:29


alex said...
:)

18 March, 2007 21:55


Rose said...
Hmmm.. The true 'Alim'...

:))))))))

..Me

18 March, 2007 23:31


Jac said...
Othersideblue
Yes, I think that I taught them something and I am sure that they will remember it for a long time.

Thanks for the visit after a long time with the new profile pic.

Quite a change from your previous angel pic :)

19 March, 2007 00:05


Jac said...
alex
:))
A pleasure seeing you often.

19 March, 2007 00:06


MoodsandColors said...
Hey Jac
I loved these lines...
"go dear; I said crying, as you looked at me a last time
I breathed my last, as you turned and called his name"...all peace to the broken heart.
You take us along to so many vivid journeys with your words and pics.
Thanks.

19 March, 2007 07:21


Chaotic Serenity said...
What an interesting story and picture!

19 March, 2007 09:22


Janice Thomson said...
Wonderful Jac...the ending great. Children are innate peace-keepers.

19 March, 2007 09:32


Kai C. said...
this is interesting & nice pic

19 March, 2007 09:50


Jac said...
moodsandcolours

Thanks for the concern and care, not forgetting the fact that we are in the same profession, though it differs a bit.

As repeated in this colmn, I have a story to tell everyday until I am no more.
The problem is that I don't get time to meet both ends, my profession vs my obsession.

I have now made it a daily post for 28 days to be followed by my silence for 28 days vacation so that I can ruminate on the blank spaces of my soul.

19 March, 2007 10:01


Jac said...
chao
Welcome back.

You are smiling at your new possession :)

Thanks for the compliment.

19 March, 2007 10:17


Jac said...
janice

Children breaks the ice far more quicker and easier than grown ups.

Thanks for the ardent encouragement.

19 March, 2007 10:21


Jac said...
kai c

Thank you all the way.

19 March, 2007 10:22


Jac said...
rose
Yes, a true "Muallim" by all means.

It all matters to letting others understand in their own understandable way.

19 March, 2007 11:24


Mystic Rose said...
sweet...and u won them over. good.

20 March, 2007 06:30


gautami tripathy said...
Linking you to my blog.

20 March, 2007 06:47


Jac said...
mystic
Not always !! But I never loose my spirit.

20 March, 2007 06:56


Jac said...
goutami
I am honoured !!!

20 March, 2007 06:57