Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It is raining...well, I be damned














Yesterday I saw a lovely sight in the far fields. It was afternoon and I was on my way to my trainees.
Birds !! Tiny Birds !!!
Millions and millions of small birds flying in unison like huge dark clouds, flying so fast.
They moved like waves up and down, up and down.
It was lovely and unbelievable. All my attempts to capture it in my camera failed as the distance was too great…and my camera too cheap.
I don’t own a lens to capture the marvel.
I tried to move close and there… they go farther and further sensing my presence. I gave up my trial and decided to enjoy the breathtaking sight.
I was surprised, at what made them to crowd around here at this time.
I moved farther to check where they were before. I could see nothing but dry patches of grass over there. I looked closer at the grass.
Peered at it again… there the clue lies.
The seeds the birds were feasting on, dry and brittle. Small wheat coloured seeds, that too thousands of them.
I took some seeds in my hands and rubbed it with my palm. The skin like husks started to peel off and I saw the thin white seeds alone.
The seeds had a shining white hue. I wondered why the birds were feasting today altogether, in millions.
The thought lingered in my mind.

In the oil station where I was supposed to be visiting my trainees, was an old man named Abed, who is about to retire in 6 months.
He always calls me a teacher, fully aware of the annoyance it made to me and despite telling him many times that I am a trainer and not a teacher.
He always says that both are same, one way or other.
For him I am teacher and that is it.
I called him outside the building.
“Abed! Do you see the birds far away?” I pointed my fingers.
“Yes, I see the birds” he was so casual “millions of them, teacher!” he seemed to guess my mind.
“What about it” I asked. "Why are they in there, in millions or may be more".
He pretended ignorance though not hiding his playful, knowing smile. He always seems to guess my questions.
“Teacher, tomorrow it will rain” my eyes goggled, but my face showed a glee at the pleasure of seeing him with his all knowing smile.
“How do you know Abed? I don’t see any clouds” I peered all over the sky, not a patch, not even a speck of clouds. He must be joking.
“Well! I know that, teacher!” he guessed my thoughts.
“But what make you think that it is going to rain” I am not going to give up easily.
“The birds” he was casual again showing his half worn out, yellow teeth out to me
“What about the birds” I knew that he wasn’t joking.
‘Did you see these birds yesterday? He was serious now.
“No” I was surprised as it was true.
“Tomorrow also you won’t see those birds” his all knowing words with a smile, “because every year just before the rain this happens. The birds come in millions and eat the grass seeds hurriedly as if they can’t eat it the next day, as if they know, that after it rains the seeds fall in the ground among the grass and they can’t eat it any more” his serious words were not so serious to me.
I laughed it off and moved to my trainees.

I remembered him now.
Because it is raining cats and dogs outside my window.



Yea, I remember Abed.

44 comments:

sophie said...

oh what a marvel nature is...
nature has lots to tell us...
i too look around and see ...nature is enchanting...
how knowlegable the birds are...
and what an indication...

I love Munich said...

How fascinating, Jac!! You know, I admire these people who know to understand the signs and signals of nature! Abed is one, the Aboriginies, the pygmies ... there are not so many left thanks to out greed and "modern technology"! We consider ourselves superior to these people ... but it's they who still understand the big secrets of nature. We should learn from them ...

hellbunny said...

Abed sounds a wise man

Dotm said...

Very interesting.I never would have thought that when seeing the birds. Shows how very smart birds truly are. They never need maps for there very long travels from wintering in the South to heading up North for the summer months. Many birds migrate this way here, has me wondering if this migration also happens in other countries the same way. People like your friend Abed are great at remembering the old ways of remembering weather.
I have seen some trees where the leaves turn downward before it rains. Just another telltale sign that rain is on it`s way.
But my youngest son just calls me and says" Mom, is it going to rain tomorrow. One thing about arthritis is you can usually feel it when rain isn`t too far off.
Glad I don`t live where it rains so hard that it turns the ground into a flooded area. Must be hard going from the drought to the floods. Good pictures Jac.

I love Munich said...

Jac - how long do these downpours last at the end? Minutes? Hours? Days? You're a great fotographer!!

jac said...

sophia
yes, it is marvelous and enchanting too.

The nature is truely amazing.

jac said...

i love munich

Yes, old technology still works in some fields.

The first down pour lasted an hour. Then it was stopped for 3 hrs and then another barrage of 1 hour.
This is only the starting, you know ?

jac said...

Dot
You see, in a way different, you can also sense rain...your arthritis is a super sensor.

jac said...

hellbunny

He sure is !

I love Munich said...

Does that mean there will be flood?? It's certainly tough now but on the other hand I am sure, afterwards the whole area will be just beautiful and full of colors!

fritz said...

birds are SmArT...we just don't know that they are...and oh so c-u-t-e too ;;)

Rose said...

Wow!!!

Its mind-boggling - Nature and its ways.. And its amazing - the instincts of these creatures ..

Pity that humans are not very much in sync with nature..

:)

..Me

jac said...

i love munich

There are floods too but of a different kind. Roads and rivers will look alike.

In one month, the whole area will turn to green.

jac said...

shine
Sure, they are a lot smarter than us, specially the doves :) and cute too.

Who said no body knows...I know for sure.

jac said...

rose
So I have another nature lover too here.
Welcome to this window.

You know, the cows and goats sense the coming of a huge cyclone or storm two to three days before it reaches you.

Amazing you see!!

I love Munich said...

That's the beauty of it - you will have green and maybe flowers everywhere! You know Jac - that's the first time (from this blog) I learn about Africa ... the weather, people, landscape - and I find it most exciting and wonderful! You are REALLY a teacher, a GOOD teacher ... don't fight that - it's the truth!!

jac said...

i love munich

Amen !
:)

m.reza said...

very nice story. It makes you wonder, how we forget about connecting with the environment sometimes, and we take the knowledge of the animals, always right, for granted, relying on the knowledge of the meteorologists, most of the times wrong. I don’t know if you have ever heard of ebn-e-sina, living about 1000 years ago in Iran; he was traveling with a scientist friend and they came across this mill, on a gorgeous summer evening and they decided to halt. The mill man suggested that they better sleep inside for its going to rain tonight. The friend (he is a very famous scientist but I have forgotten his name!) looked into the sky and said that it’s a clear sky and you are wrong. Mill man said I know nothing but my dog dose, he always sleeps outside except for the rainy nights and he has decided to sleep in tonight. They ignored the mill man. And later on they wished that they didn’t.

I love Munich said...

You are really a very great person! Thanks for being ... you!

Jay said...

Animals are so sensitive. Of course, in the movies, that many birds overhead usually means the end is near.

Dotm said...

I have noticed that my bro`s horses often head under a tree long before the rain starts. Animals are so very alert to any weather changes. I lived on that farm for over a year and have seen the danger of lightning and trees and often wish the horses didn`t collect under a tree. My bro had a 3 sided lean-to built and now the horses head under that and I feel better about their safety.

Nan said...

Very interesting. It makes sense but I've never noticed that. I'll have to pay more attention to such things.

I love Munich said...

Jac - check your e-mail please!

starry nights said...

That was interesting,It is like how the animals sense when there is going to be an earthquake, I wish you could have captured the picture of the birds.

Lorna said...

Nice storytelling!

juliana said...

Hi Jac!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Seems like you have a very nice one here too.

Your story reminds me of when I was in Belize a month ago. At a lodge in the middle of the jungle, a huge jungle cockroach appeared. One of the tourguides eating dinner with us looked at it and said, "it's going to rain." Most of the visitors laughed it off, but sure enough about 20 minutes later, it was raining cats and dogs.

jac said...

m.reza
That was interesting reading about ebn-e-sina from Iran who lived 1000 years ago and his encounter in the mill.
You see how animals sense it.

Thanks for coming and commenting.

jac said...

i love munich

I am flattered and I like it.

jac said...

miss jay

In my childhood, I remember overhearing my uncle who survived a terrible cyclone in Burma, that 3 days before the cyclone, all the four legged animals around the area stopped eating as and just kept looking with intense listening...ears pointed towards south where the cyclone came from.

jac said...

dot
Amazing ! that the horses sensed it long before the rain.

jac said...

nan
Little things like this give us a lot of lesions.
But then don't blame yourself for that. You have lot of other things in your mind, like worrying about your Grandma.

How is she?

jac said...

i love munich

I have checked and replied.
:)

jac said...

starry nights
You should have seen the sight of the birds!!

I never miss any chance to take a photograph of that beautiful sight but I was totally pissed off when they started moving off whenever I tried to move closer.

jac said...

lorna
Thanks.

jac said...

juliana
Thanks for reciprocating the visit and thanks for the compliment.

It is amazingly amazing about their sensing power…what will you call that, a sixth sense?

Please visit again, if you like what you see and read here.

Othersideblue said...

There happened an awful earthquake a few years ago in Iran the city of "Bam" leaving thousands dead and many others wounded.
The animals actually did foresee it making noises in the middle of the night but apparently people didn't care if they ever heard since they went back to bed and were dead an hour or so after.
Yeah, animals sense and feel things we don't.

jac said...

othersideblue
I have heard about 'Bam'. The animals really sense it means.

How awful !... they realize that they are going to die and we don’t give them a chance to escape. We tie them up. LOL

Rose said...

Wow!!! Is dat true abt the cows and goats??? I am awed...

I have heard of stories were dogs have saved lives as they can sense the coming of an earthquake...

:)

..Me

jac said...

rose
Yes, it is true and it is no more a secret.

Sarah said...

we think we are too smart and techie..we hv weather networks and satelites.. yet an old man could say abt the rain..by looking at the birds..ironic callins ourselves, advanced!

jac said...

immigrant in canada
I dont have to tell you about weather forcasts they do now adays.
I listened the local radio to hear something about rain on that day. Hot and dry climate was the forcast. LOL

Sarah said...

mazha peyyanum payyathirikkanum sadhyatha undu..in english..the weather forecast would be"it may or may not rain!!"

Mindinside said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
1972 miami dolphins said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my 1972 miami dolphins site.
Have a great day!