Saturday, April 01, 2006

Apples


A cluster of unripe Apple’s from my back yard. I haven’t an orchard; in fact I just have a tree.


I know that you have started laughing…evidently you won’t fully believe anything which I will write today, because today is the First day of April also known as an All fool’s day. To some of you; 1st of April have passed, and to others it is tomorrow.

Till now, I haven’t ever bothered to know why today is called by that name.
So I just went searching the net and came out with very interesting stories and fantasies which I never knew.
Most of you might have done this by now but to those who haven’t… here it is.

It says that the date is connected with calendars and was started since 1852 in France. As per the Julian calendar New Year eve was celebrated; at the end of March and the day was celebrated on 1st of April.
With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1.
However, communications being what they were in the days; when news traveled by foot, many people did not receive the news for several years. Others, the more obstinate crowd, refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the New Year on April 1. These backward folk were labeled as "fools" by the general public. They were subject to some ridicule, and were often sent on "fool’s errands" or were made the butt of other practical jokes.

This harassment evolved, over time, into a tradition of prank-playing on the first day of April. The tradition eventually spread to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century. It was later introduced to the American colonies of both the English and French. April fool’s Day thus developed into an international fun fest, so to speak, with different nationalities specializing in their own brand of humor at the expense of their friends and families.

I have many more stories to add to this but then, you will not take anything serious today.
Have a nice fool’s day and have fun.

BTW: It is a cluster of delicious unripe mangoes from my back yard.

Sorry for not making you a fool today.

22 comments:

kat said...

Happy April Fools day. They don't look like British apples. :-)

sophie said...

ha ha jac...
mangoes or apples
whatever....
ILU

Mindinside said...

Mindiside is sending ya a foolish Smile

jac said...

Kat
Don't you know that Nigerian apples are green in colour and looks like mangoes ? LOL

jac said...

Sophie

You like it ?????

jac said...

Mind
Do you hide a foolish smile in that mind ?

fritz said...

umm..must be exotic a-p-p-l-e-s? hehehe..haven't seen any like that kinda shape :p hehehe..perfect for april fools day! ..mmm..can i have some please when they're ripe?
..these fruits smells so niceee and yummy! hehehe
umm..jac..you're not suppose to tell the truth at the very end of your post! :p hehehe

Mindinside said...

I have lots of foolish smiles to spare, you want one?

Jay said...

Heh. I almost forgot what day it is!

Dotm said...

Jac, thanks for posting the Mangoes on the tree. My first time to see a Mango tree and now I know they grow in clumps-- so many hanging in just a small area. It`s a wonder those string size stems can handle the weight of the mangoes as they grow. As I always say, I learn something almost every day. We never get too old to keep learning.

jac said...

mind
If you have just one...I need it.

If you have more than one, I dont need it.
:)

jac said...

miss jay

I have the satisfaction of reminding you some thing your mind have missed.

jac said...

Dot
That is happy news to me.

The strings that you saw are in fact very strong and fibrous and can hold many mangoes.

jac said...

Shine
I missed you the first time :)

The cluster of mangoes you saw is of hybrid variety.
This year the weather was so nice that fruits are abundant

It is not a quiz, shine !

boo said...

happy april fool's jac :)

jac said...

Boo
Wow! That is helluva wish, boooooooo.
:)

Mriganayanii said...

Jac, you'r messing, huh? naughty ..
Apples huh? Funny though..
Nice pic, as usual!

pink said...

Belated Happy aprils Fool day to you Jac.

Walker said...

I knew those were not apples. I thought they were kinda funny shaped. LOL

jac said...

Nayani
I was trying the trick of make believing.

Didn't work it seems, but I have the satisfaction of trying. LOL

jac said...

Pink
Thanks for coming late. But you know some thing...though late, you are pink as a flower.
:)

jac said...

Walker
Yeah...a sort of funny shaped Apples on my mango tree. LOL